Friday, August 22, 2008

Makes it all worth it!

Every day I wrack my brains for ideas for what to cook for supper. You know not the open the bag & pour, type of supper but the balanced, low fat kinda supper that is good for all & tasty enough to be eaten by Max. As I stand over the chopping board dicing & slicing veg & or whatever....I mumble & moan about what a pain it is to have to cook every day. Over the years I have had a very tumultuous relationship with eating...or not for many years... (but that is another story entirely).
So my favourite kitchen mantra, heard countless times by all who know me, is:

"Why is it that we can't just take a pill"....or "Why haven't they developed a replicator machine like in Star Trek yet?"

moan, moan, moan, whinge, whinge, whinge.....blah, blah, blah!

Well last night, my 100's of hours spent pouring over a hot stove were all made worth it....at the dinner table Max turns to me, puts his hand on my arm & says:

"Mama, you are the BEST food maker in the whole wide world....I love your food!"

....well, I melted into a puddle under the table, along side the remnants of spilt pasta supper....suitably chastised for my pathetic attitude. I am pleased to say I have a renewed lease on my kitchen duties, as I once again haul out my recipe books looking for inspiration. God knew when he gave us these little ones, that their uses far surpassed torture, sleep deprivation, harassment & drastically reducing bank balances...but that they were given to us to poke, prod, teach & endure us back to the reality that things aren't so bad after all.

KJ
XXX


10 comments:

  1. So, I know there's a 12 hour difference, but I just posted a recipe that Max just might eat since all of my kiddos did the other night. You could also serve with pasta. Take care sweetie and tell Max what a sweet son he is.
    Hugs,
    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww, what a sweet boy that Max... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm telling ya, try out my recipes. I have them posted and I made them easy to follow too. My kids eat every one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made lasagne tonight and it was very good. (I have a cross-stiched picture saying "never trust a skinny cook") I love eating more than I love cooking, but I am such a good cook...maybe if I wasn't I'd be thinner?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Food shmnood.

    Amazing what a simple statement from a 4yr old can accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! What a beautiful child you have!!! That is sooo sweet of Max to say such nice things... and sooo cool you can find a way to make him eat! Each night is a fight with Coco to have her eat something. Connor, I don't even try. Thank God for good old cheese sticks and yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Max melts Gramsy and Pop's heart - we love him to bits wish we lived closer....love ya'lllll

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaawh! That is sooo precious Kim!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kim

    Posted a little surprise on my blog for you today. Thanks for your inspiration ...

    Love, Tracy (www.tracyscharmedlife.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a surprise for you on my blog, go take a looksy...

    ReplyDelete

Th♥nks for your comments!